Thursday 1 September 2011

Wanna Sniff My Butt?

LOL... ok, not MY butt, but anyone with cats, or dogs, or most animals really, will know that they regularly communicate by poking their noses up into each other's rear ends. In cats this is usually followed by the flehmen reaction, a sort of open mouthed silent panting which kind of enables the cat to 'taste' the smell, and as such get more information from it.

Anyhow, I'm observing Indigo as closely as I can this time, so as to see if there are any reliable ways to tell if she's shortly to go on heat. And it may be wishful thinking on my part, but there's been an awful lot of bottom sniffing from Theo of late!

Theo is an inveterate sniffer anyway, and he's neutered, so he won't be interested in the way a stud would, but nevertheless, he's quite sensitive to changes in the other cats. Regular readers of the blog will remember that it was Theo who alerted me to the change in Indigo's behaviour last winter- and later that night she had her kittens. He got there long before me. So naturally I am wondering if he might guide me this time too?


No comments:

Post a Comment