Saturday 8 January 2011

Yesterday...


He's fine.  Here he is, just now, scoffing.

Oh my goodness.

Yesterday, the teenager accidentally stepped on Wendell. I didn't see it happen, but my goodness, I heard it, and I'd rather not ever hear a kitten making that noise again :(  Poor, poor baby!

I checked him over gently and couldn't feel anything obviously broken but Wendell then limped off to under the sofa and I could see he wasn't bearing any weight on one of his back feet. Of course, I rang the vet straight away and got the next available appointment and set out pronto, coaxing Wendell out with a bit of chicken. By the time we got to the vet he was walking much more normally, thank goodness. He was checked out, and as far as the vet could tell, he's fine, just shocked and a bit sore no doubt.

I have to say- both the vet and the receptionist were very kind and I just about held it together, but I don't mind sharing that later on that night I did have a good weep. I just feel so terrible about it. But Wendell is fine and walking as he should be this morning, so all seems to be well.

I've thought and thought about posting this. I'd rather keep it quiet, you know? And then I remembered one of the aims of this blog... complete honesty... and decided to go ahead. It was an accident, the teenager feels dreadful about it... and so do I. Comment if you would like to, but please be gentle- no-one could feel any more badly about it than we do.

I have good news as well though... I grabbed a kitten to take with Wendell- I thought it might stress him out less to be with a littermate  (Indigo had hidden under the sofa with some of the other kittens at all the noise and stress so taking the whole family was not an option) It was Kenneth. I was just about to swap him (not wanting to take Kenneth out in the cold) when I thought I might as well take him too, to be checked over. Well the vet did so, and couldn't detect any noise on Kenneth's chest at all. Hurrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment