Saturday 29 January 2011

Profile Dip


So, I was sitting on the sofa the other day, spending quality time with the teenager (ok, playing Monopoly on the Wii!) with Kenneth taking a nap in my lap, and I suddenly thought to take a look at Kenneth's profile. As I've written about before, Indigo's main 'fault' in terms of the Tonkinese breed standard is she doesn't have a very definite profile dip- the bit that goes down, between the forehead and the nose. It's a bit too straight. Harry on the other hand, the stud Indie was mated to, has a very nice profile- well he would, wouldn't he, being a Grand Champion. Anyway, it suddenly struck me that I haven't had a good, objective look at the kittens' profiles to see how they have fared.

Kenneth's (above) is fine, incidentally, allowing for a bit of kitten fluffiness. You can see the plane of his forehead and the plane of his nose are roughly parallel, with the bit inbetween following a slightly different angle.

So anyway, yesterday I annoyed the kittens no end, trying to get a good look at (and pictures of!)  their faces sideways on. I managed three pictures, so better than nothing.


Wendell's (above) is the most like his Mama's... a bit straightish. His face in general really reminds me of Indigo's at the same age/ bit older... especially round the ears... a bit bat-like. Indigo's Mama's pedigree name was 'Jablook Batfink' so clearly the resemblance runs in the family hehe

AnnElise (below) has a very nice dip and she has a nicely defined whisker pinch as well. Or rather, I THINK she has... in fact, if I don't manage to find a new home for her, I may put her in for a show or two, to see if I'm right lol. The others are all OK as well.


Of course, this only matters in terms of the show standard... it makes no difference to the kittens' potential as family pets, their loving natures, their playfulness and so on, and I don't think any of the three homes we've currently found intends to show anyway. It's just, y'know, interesting. And useful to me, as a new breeder hoping to be rather less clueless at the end of having this litter!

No comments:

Post a Comment