Sunday 13 March 2011

Updates


Jacob and Jonah (Wendell and Monty) settling in. Photo by C F


Forgot to update on Alfie (Kenneth) yesterday. He's eating fine, and he's fine the other end too, settling down nicely into his new home.

I had another update from Jacob (Wendell) and Jonah's (Monty's) new home as well- they have cast off any shyness and are right at home. Love the photo above, doesn't it look as though Jonah has a big smirk on his face? LOL

So it sounds as though all three boyus have fitted seamlessly into their new lives... brilliant!

Hope's new family are hoping to collect her Monday afternoon, depending on what time their plane gets in. Of course I have no idea what the planes are goig to be like in the next little while, with all the disasters happening in Japan and the Pacific Rim at the moment. If their plane is delayed, they will have to pick up another day because....

... later on Monday, I will be taking Kensey back to the vet to have his lump looked at again. And I will be taking his sister with him because she's only gone and developed a reaction as well. *rolls eyes*

Today Kensey's lump is no bigger, but it doesn't look smaller either. Which is pretty consistent with a vaccine reaction lump. It should go away over time. AnnElise's came up yesterday- her new family noticed it, so I can pinpoint the time it came up almost to the hour... I checked her over that morning (and Hope, who is fine) and no lump, mid afternoon when her family visited we were feeling her back and thinking is it? Or is that just the microchip? and by evening it definitely was a lump. Same as Kensey's, no pain, no 'heat' etc etc.

I've been looking up about vaccine site reactions though... Apparently, this kind of lump is quite common, will typically occur up to 12 days after a vaccine is given -mine were vaccinated  for the last time 11 days ago- and they tend to go away without treatment, without any lasting effect. In fact, much of the available information suggests that whisking Kensey to the vet the same day might have been somewhat of an overreaction (me? surely not!) and that veterinary attention is only really needed if the lump hasn't disappeared several months later. Whoops! What can I say, I like to err on the side of caution where my kittens are concerned!!!

Oh well, you live and learn. I'll look into it more of course, as it doesn't hurt to be informed, and this is a new one on me... I'd heard they might get wobbly tums after the jabs, but not come across lumpy necks! Even though I've been googling, though, I'm pleased to report I have managed NOT to scare myself silly with what-if's and extremely rare and unlikely conditions this time. I'm learning! By the time we have our next litter, I will be as chilled as anything. Yeah, and pigs might indeed fly...

No comments:

Post a Comment